Monday, August 20, 2007

Quit Date -- today!

So far, so good! Well, actually, I have to admit that it's not *too* bad. The first few hours were a breeze. Wesley and I drove to Knoxville to run some errands, and that helped to keep me occupied right up until we decided to stop for a mid-afternoon snack at a perfectly lovely bistro.

It was a non-smoking establishment, the kind of place I would have complained about if I were still smoking, and as soon as we placed an order for appetizers...

Oh, I wanted a cigarette.

The waitress brought icy-cold water to the table and I tried to drink it, but it was so cold that I just got a headache instead. So there I was, craving a cigarette, nursing my cold head, and starting to flip out, when she brought flatbread and olive oil.

So I ate my way through the craving. Yay, food!

It was a delish place. Table Fifteen -- highly, highly recommend it. It's expensive, though. So save up your pennies before ya go.

Anyway, when we finished and left the bistro, I had another huuuuuuuge craving. I sat there and chanted, "I smell good, I smell good, I smell good, I smell good," until that didn't work any more, and then I chanted, "I'm saving money, I'm saving money, I'm saving money," until the craving went away.

I've been home for about half an hour, and I still smell good, and I'm still saving money.

I might make it! I really think I might!!! This is SO MUCH BETTER than Day 8 was!!!!!!!

I'm so grateful to those bloggers who went before me -- Tasina, Maggie, everyone -- you guys rock.

And of course, my sister Amy rocks. Eleven and a half days without a cigarette *or* Chantix! She Is Iron Woman!

4 comments:

Tasina said...

You should see me here with this huge grin. I'm so happy it's going well for you today. It is such a hard thing to do, but I think you're going to be just fine.

And think - with all the money you save on cigarettes you can eat at fancy places whenever you want!!

Way to go!!!!

Anonymous said...

Bay, I'm really so happy for you, and I'm glad that you stuck with the Chantix a bit longer. This is much more how it should be - not exactly easy but at least within the realm of manageable instead of miserable. I'm grinning right along with Tasina for you. I knew you could do it. Just make it to bedtime - don't forget some deep breaths where a puff might have been if that helps (works for me even now) - and then your first day will be behind you. Go Bay!

And Amy is quite the woman, too, so Go Amy!

Amy said...

Y'all know I'm eating up all this praise, don't you? :) Just so everyone understands -- I WOULD NOT BE HERE IF IT WEREN'T FOR BAY.

It was Bay's idea to quit smoking. I just followed her lead. I set my quit date based on her (original) quit date, and I only stuck with it because I knew she'd be quitting a little later and I didn't want to have to go through all the ashtray washing again. (A wet ashtray smells worse than anything, doesn't it?!)

YAY for all of us!!!!!! We're all winners!

(But especially Bay, in my book. Thank you for giving me the strength to take this step.)

Tasina said...

Oh gross. Wet ashtray. Now there's something I will NOT miss.