Thursday, August 23, 2007

Irony bites

In searching for good reasons to quit smoking -- y'know, things that don't fall under the category of "because nonsmokers are such wet blankets that I really want to be just like 'em" -- one of the very good reasons to quit was because smoking is bad for your teeth.

I know this to be true because my dentist has told me so a number of times over the last twenty years. "Smoking makes it worse," he says, as he tsk's over my teeth.

Genetics and a poor location for my formative years have combined to give me a really bad set of teeth, anyway. We didn't have fluoride in the city water in the town where we lived when I was a baby. And I didn't have the best genes for strong teeth. So if you add in smoking, what you get is a pretty darned big honkin' mess.

Good thing I quit smoking, huh?

I quit on Monday. Late Tuesday, I bit down on the first bite of my dinner and thought, "Oh, that can't be good."

Wednesday night, I literally couldn't sleep from the pain in my tooth. This must be abscessing.

Now it's late Thursday afternoon. I managed to get to sleep by forcing myself to drink a shot of vodka straight up. Choked, sputtered, went to sleep, thank heaven.

I finally got hold of someone in my dentist's office, and the rotten son of a b**** is away at a conference this weekend. They can't fit me in until next Thursday.

That is impossible. I can't live that long like this.

Now, I haven't spent much time awake today, but I have to say that smoking isn't the first thing on my mind. Except in an ironic vein. I quit smoking. Quitting is supposed to be good for my teeth. Now I have an abscess. Irony bites.

3 comments:

Amy said...

It's time to find another dentist. You're doing yourself a disservice if you wait until next Thursday because (a) you'll be in pain for that whole time, and (2) your condition will worsen, so (iii) it will cost more (in terms of pain and dollars) to fix.

Dale is great, but there are lots of other dentists in your area. He won't disown you if you see someone else in an emergency. And you won't die if they're not fun to be around. Forget bedside manner and get your teeth fixed.

Just my two cents.

Anonymous said...

Bay, that's no fun. I'm having to deal with my own share of dental damage due to smoking, but mine is more of an ongoing rather than acute issue like yours.

And I agree with Amy on all points as reasons to go sooner if it was my pain and my money. Dale might be great, but Dale isn't free, so, catch ya next time Dale.

I'm sorry all the crappy stuff is clomping along beside you while you are doing this very wonderful thing that you are doing.

Amy said...

P.S. I think you can officially call yourself an ex-smoker if you've gotten through this ordeal without buying a pack and lighting up! Go Bay!!!!!