Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Day 14, not quit yet

OK, let's be honest: I've been taking Chantix for two weeks now. And as it continues to build up in my blood stream, I can so see a difference. It's not ... *easy*. But it's *different*. And it gives me hope.

But I haven't stopped smoking yet.

But, OMG, today was another good day. I hardly smoked at all, and I didn't have the nausea. YAY!

For those of you who have a very negative image of smoking, well, all I can say is, I'm not entirely aligned with your way of thinking.

I don't hate smoking. I don't hate cigarettes. I don't hate myself for smoking. In point of fact -- I think it might have behooved the scientific society to work on making tobacco safe and healthy instead of just making smokers feel like vilified third-class citizens. But that's not what they worked on -- they just worked on the peer pressure against smokers.

Well, gosh, that was one option. Okie dokie. WhatEV.

So... yeah. If you want to beat me up for my "bad" attitude, OK. But you gotta know -- eventually I'm just going to delete your comments.

In any case, I smoked less today, and I *wanted* to smoke less today, and that was entirely Chantix and not me. And furthermore! The nearest store that stocks my cigarettes is also going to stop ordering the Capri Menthol 120's. Which is just going to keep helping to make this quitting thing easier and easier.

Did you see the news item that states in which tax has been raised horribly... are experiencing more people quitting smoking? Tennessee raised the tax by 42 cents this summer -- so I'm sure we're one of the states in which smoking is decreasing.

That's both weird -- and encouraging. I'm scared to pieces of being around people who smoke. Somehow I just know that if I smell the cigarette smoke, I'm going to have a craving.

That makes me sad on some level.........

In the meantime, my brilliant sister made it through Day 6 on the nicotine patch -- *and* she forgot to change the patch before she went to work, which made for about four hours of sincere worry on my part. But she made it through the added stress!!!!! Amy rocks!!!!!!!!!

I look forward to joining her on the ex-smoking bandwagon, and still being nice to all my lovely friends who do still smoke!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bay, you are doing just fine, and I'm glad to hear that the Chantix is making it at least different and that the nausea is better. Just keep doing your Chantix thing.

If ever the safe and even healthy cigarette had been made, I'd have been the first in line (OK, OK, I'd let you go one ahead of me). I truly did just plain love smoking. But I didn't love many of the consequences or various kinds of costs, and so, here I am on the Chantix cheering squad ;) Day by day, I'm learning to also love *not* smoking.

Coconut cake is now in the fridge, and I think Tom is wondering if it's morning yet. I bet he eats it for breakfast since technically, that is overnight.

And go, Amy!

Keep going, Bay!