Friday, August 10, 2007

new latest possible last chance drop dead quit date

I am so lovin' Maggie's way of putting things! This post's header comes to you compliments of Maggie, my idol.

I was going to post a couple more thoughts tonight before crashing, anyway, and this just makes it more fun.

First of all, I am not gettin' the GetQuit emails on a regular basis. I wonder if that's because so many people are getting the Chantix prescription and signing up for GetQuit? And I wish them all luck! Whoever they are! But I'm missing my regular notes from GetQuit. I forget to check the website for *hours* if I don't get the email.

That glitch sort of messed with my last Quit Date -- the GetQuit email told me to throw out my ashtrays and clean up my house, which I had already read about on the day before. I never did get any supportive info for the actual Quit Date. And I didn't notice that until I had already caved in and had a cigarette.

Oh, well, live and learn! I'm sure it'll be better next time around. I'll set alarms for myself on my cell phone -- just to remember to check the website in case I don't get a daily email.

Secondly, I did go ahead and choose another Quit Date -- the "new latest possible last chance drop dead quit date," as Maggie says. August 20th. I love that when I did check in today, the website asked me two questions first; the usual "are you taking your Chantix?" and the more unusual, "Did you quit smoking?" I was able to honestly answer, and they prompted me to set a new Quit Date. So that's what I did.

I can do it! I hope I can. I just keep hearing from more and more friends who know someone who quit with Chantix. An old classmate of mine (who is a pharmacist) emailed me tonight to say that she's hearing incredible things about Chantix and has in fact urged her husband to try it as a result.

Too cool!

3 comments:

Amy said...

OK, now I'm starting to feel old fashioned and even a little bit cheated because I decided to try the patch rather than Chantix. Shall I start smoking again just so I can get some Chantix? ;)

My only regret about being "good" on the patch is that I'm afraid I'll make you feel bad about not quitting on day 8. You know better than to feel bad about that, though, right? We're both going to succeed in our own way, in our own time!!!! I'm just glad we'll get to the same place one way or another!

Anonymous said...

Bay, that's too funny. I looked and thought "hey, that sounds like something I would say" and was delighted that you have new quit date to look forward to, and I'm hoping it will be a smoother process. Thank you for your kind words, too.

Do you mean just the little email reminder to check in at GetQuit? I think I had to go in once and reset my email or something at some point so that I'd get the reminders again. I can't recall for sure. I kind of like checking in every day just to check the box saying "yep, didn't smoke."

Since you do use GetQuit, when it starts asking you to rate your level of urges each day, if you ever want to see any record of that for later - keep a copy for yourself. I thought that it would track this (since there is a little graph thingy), but it did not. All I know is that gradually the numbers have gone down (now it's usually just a 1, wow!), but I'd love to be able to see the progress because I'm anal like that.

I listened to part of on of your podcasts, and you two are such a hoot! Tom is donating his iPod to me for walking purposes, and I might bring you two on a walk with me sometimes, so keep your walking shoes handy ;)

Tasina said...

I'm glad to hear you set a new quit date. I would strongly encourage you to really try to cut back for the next 10 days. I think it will make that quit date much less scary and much more manageable. Best of luck!