Saturday, August 18, 2007

Awwww... toot toot?

I just got a note from my eagle-eyed sister who was reading the Wikipedia definition for Chantix and discovered to her surprise that one of the "common side effects" listed there is... well... um... ahem -- flatulence.

That's. A. Gas.

ROFL! Sorry, no, I'm trying to keep a straight face. It's really funny. I don't remember reading that on the package insert or online before I started taking Chantix! But I, of all people, know that I am incredibly obtuse when I wanna be. Maybe I just ignored all the potentially embarrassing or marginally impolite side effects I might encounter, because, y'know, Southern girls just don't acknowledge certain unpleasant parts of life.

We don't.

We just don't. Southern girls don't spit, burp, cramp, vomit -- we don't even sweat. I will never forget hearing a lady in my mother's living room whispering embarrassedly that it was so hot, she *glowed*, all the while delicately tapping her sweaty forehead with a tissue.

I mean, basically the old gal was apologizing because she had the complete gall to sweat in the summer. In GEORGIA! Where It's HOT, Dang It!!!!

So -- having come from that sort of background, maybe you'll understand why I was amused and surprised to hear that a drug I'm taking might be causing me to behave -- entirely against my control -- in a less than perfectly ladylike manner.

Ahem!

I'm not.

Honestly, though, immediately on the heels of my denial, I have to confess that my next thought was -- perhaps if I had been thusly afflicted, it would have been the cure to the nausea from which I did suffer.

In any case, I haven't felt nauseated in a few days, which is nice. I haven't quit smoking yet. I thought Amy's comments on that last post were awfully nice, and yes, there is a bit of dread about the actually quitting. But as I continue to smoke less and less, I'm just going to keep looking at August 20th as a good date to quit, and I'll aim for that.

Without burping.

Or sweating.

Or anything-else-ing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. It happens ;)

Tasina said...

I'm so surprised that I haven't had any of the...er...more un-ladylike...side effects from Chantix. I have kind of a sensitive stomach and was really worried about this. My doctor even said that she had to give one of her patients an anti-nausea drug. I'm not complaining. It must be very hard to go through all that on top of trying to quit.