Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Non-Smoker Crafts


I have been working on this crazy little project for days. I didn't work on it very hard at first, but since Monday, I've put a lot of time and love into it -- it's my faux-cigarette box. I think you might call it a security blanket. Or a binkie. Whatever you prefer.

I made it with Club Scrap's incomparable papercrafting supplies. I love Club Scrap stuff. I love it all. And now that I'm not smoking, my paper stash is going to smell wonderful always.

Anyway, this is made with the Bistro kit, which came in shades of green, hot pink, orange, and yellow-gold, and featured amazing pencil art. It's very breezy and girlie, which appeals to my innocent side.

After I slaved over the faux-cigarettes (each lovingly snipped from bamboo skewers, painted, inked, and sealed with acrylic sealer), I wrote my Motivations on each of them. Here they are, the reasons I'm trying to quit:
- Feel Better
- Save Money
- Run Anywhere
- Taste More
- Yell Louder (this one made my kids crack up)
- Smell Cleaner
- Healthier Teeth
- Savor Desserts
- Walk Farther
- More Vacations
- Enjoy More
- Climb Higher

Now when I have a craving, I reach for the box, grab a stick, and go cross-eyed reading it while I chew on it.

Very handy. I hardly chanted at all tonight.

I do think -- well, honestly, part of me is grumpy about all this. I want to smoke. I'm not going to lie; I would really love a cigarette. But it's not killing me. And I haven't bought any cigarettes. And I haven't cried. I feel a little annoyed, then I distract myself, and the feeling goes away.

Onward and upward!

3 comments:

Amy said...

First of all, I LOVE the faux 'rettes! Make me some!

Oh, was that rude of me? Let me try again.

Could I please have some?

Better?

Second of all, I can't tell you how happy your last couple of paragraphs make me!!!! I understand it so well! You sound so familiar -- just like me! The first day was probably the worst for me. The second day I was still annoyed. With each passing day, though, it seemed like it got a little easier. I really do think you're over the hardest part and that, as long as you keep your goal in mind, you'll succeed at quitting for good. If you start losing faith in yourself, give me a call. I'll tell you about the faith I have in you.

Your quit meter says 1 day, 23 hours, and 38 minutes. Just a few short minutes and it'll be two whole days!!!!!! GO BAY!!!!!!!!! We are Iron Women!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Bay, now I know why I was born with zero creativity - you got it all ;) Really, such a wonderfully clever idea all around, and something very useful, too. I love that you have more reasons in mind now, and I think it will help to have them so... at hand.

Yep, annoyed that smoking wasn't an option is a good word for how I felt at the start. Once in awhile even now. Overall, it starts getting less that way, and it's a good thing.

I am so thrilled for you!

Tasina said...

What an amazing idea. And I thought my metaphor was good ;)

Those would make such neat gifts for all kinds of occasions - quitting smoking, waiting through pregnancy, studying for a bar exam or other test, etc.

I think you know how annoyed and bratty I was those few days. I'm glad I'm kind of over that now. I suppose these things will come and go for a while.