Wednesday, August 8, 2007

3.5 hours

I've been awake for three and a half hours -- unbelievable, I know, but every time I started to wake up this morning, I talked myself into going back to sleep under the conviction that if I woke up, I would just want a cigarette.

And I was fairly correct. I do want a cigarette. It's not like cold-turkey, when I was shaking and crying and couldn't function like a human being, and it's not like the nicotine patch, when I was just shaking a little and simply WANTED THE CIGARETTE. No crying involved. No, this is a mild, "Hey, there's something missing here," kind of feeling.

And it's pretty constant.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't have put my Quit Date off until the weekend. Not that the weekend is any easier -- it's just that the Chantix would have built up in my system somewhat. I dunno.

Right now I just keep telling myself, "I'm saving money. I made it half an hour. I'm saving money. I made it thirty-five minutes. I'm saving money. I made it an hour."

And so it goes.

The "quit strategies," the ones I was supposed to refer to when I had a craving? They're not helping much.

I'll go distract myself now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the staying in bed approach - I could have used a few extra hours of sleep myself this morning.

Just keep distracting yourself. For me, taking deep breaths and sipping water helped so very much through the bad spots. Remember, too, that any actual craving doesn't really last longer than 5 minutes (time it and see - it just feels like forever, but they are not). When the next craving hits, just do what you did to get past the last one. It will not always be like this.

Stay busy. You are doing great!

exsmoker mom said...

Bay,
We can do this! We are strong women! I found that keeping really, really busy today was the key. Also, I changed up all of my normal routines. That, plus lots of deep breathing and water has helped. I'm going to head out for a long walk as soon as it cools down a bit.

You want to do this. You need to do this. You can do this!