Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Whoa.

Seriously. I woke up this morning and my mouth tasted better. That quickly? I had no idea!

I told Amy last night that right now, my hardest time is right after meals. I don't know what non-smokers do after they eat. To me, finishing the food was a great time to celebrate my successful masticating of life-sustaining nutrients. Have a cigarette! Woo hoo! Party time! I've eaten something, let's smoke!

Last night I clung to my dinnerplate and didn't know what to do. If I took the plate to the sink as usual, then I would feel like it's time to smoke. Same thing this morning with breakfast. Here's my coffee. Here's my hard-boiled egg saucer. Where's my...?

Nope. Didn't smoke. Didn't go out and buy cigarettes.

Having some stress in the car insurance department -- my daughter has her driver's license now and is going to start costing a fortune. I remember when I cost my mother a fortune. I hope I make it through the next few days.

4 comments:

Amy said...

No, no! You don't hope! You will make it through the next few days!!! It won't be a piece of cake (ooh, there's what you can do after you eat!), but you will make it through. Keep your goal ahead of you and remember what you're getting out of this for yourself. Forget about what your children and your husband and your sister and your birds will be getting out of this. Be selfish. You're doing this for Bay, and Bay is going to reap the greatest rewards!

Go, Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it through and even got to experience one of the benefits right off the bat. Awesome!

If the after meals thing does get tough, maybe a mint or something along those lines would help. Be creative and pick something that suits you. I do OK at home, but I can't leave the Indian buffet without grabbing a handful of whatever those little seed things are that make my mouth feel all fresh and sort of minty.

Here's more good stuff for you, Bay, because I'm so excited for you. According to these folks at
What happens when you stop smoking: Fact Sheet no. 11, you have lots to look forward to:

"8 hours
Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half, oxygen levels return to normal. Circulation improves.

24 hours
Carbon monoxide and nicotine eliminated from the body.

48 hours
The decline in lung function and excess risk of lung cancer halts."

There's more on my blog under the Linky Loos section I call How Our Bodies React to Smoking and Quitting Smoking, and obviously the good stuff goes even way beyond the above.

Congrats again!

Sherri said...

Congrats! Taste is great, but smells are even more noticeable, which increases your taste. I've noticed certain areas driving down the interstate that smell very strong with certain odors. Maggie is right about mints. During the first week after a meal I'd pop a mini-altoid. My quit friend and I walk after lunch. Start new habits that are good! Hang in there, you'll make it.

Tasina said...

Well look at it this way - someone else has to take your plate to the sink. It's only fair. You're in the middle of a quit.

I SCOFF at your insurance woes. I have a teenage BOY with a new DL. He can't even walk a flight of steps without tripping over himself and now he's driving my car. So what do we do? We pick this time to quit smoking!!! Brilliant!