Tuesday, August 21, 2007

12:50 a.m.!!!!

And I still haven't smoked! I AM IRON WOMAN!!!!!!

OK, not really *iron* woman. But I might be, I dunno, acrylic-lined recycled aluminum woman.

I have to thank Amy for helping me with my Quit Meter. It wasn't wrapping until Amy helped. She's the bomb! I was going to ask her how to fix that, and then my phone rang and she said, "Let me help you with your Quit Meter..." She totally read my mind! How does she *do* that?

Oh, right, *she* is Iron Woman. OK, I'll try not to forget.

Before I go on, I have to point out that I didn't fill out my QuitMeter totally honestly. I know that I reported just a few days ago that my brand of cigarettes now cost $5.25 per pack -- and they do -- NOW -- now that the taxes have been raised. I think to be honest, I should reflect a price closer to normal, before taxes went up. Because let's face it, I smoked for years at the lower tax bracket. Now I'm quitting with higher taxes; I don't think it's fair to say I'm saving all that much more.

OK -- maybe not the most logical thought process in the world, but hey, I quit smoking today. Cut me some slack!

So, I have not had a cigarette since I got up today, and I am still doing really pretty well. When I have a craving, I breathe and I chant positive things at myself. Mostly all I can remember that's positive is, "I smell good." After a while, I might throw in "I'm saving money" and "I'm really NOT smoking." I think I'm going to make it to bed tonight without having had a cigarette all day.

This evening I had to run to the store for some milk. I got the milk, put it on the counter, and when the cashier told me how much I owed, I carefully counted up the money. He said thank you, and I said thank you, and I carefully put my wallet in my purse and started to walk out, which, of course, is when the cashier called, "Don't forget your milk!"

I turned around, embarrassed, shaking my head, and I said to no one in particular, "Yeah... I just quit smoking today..."

And the guy who had been in line behind me absolutely *roared* with laughter. Slapped his knees and guffawed. Even the cashier snorted a little bit in my direction.

I made it through -- well, almost. I guess I'll know I *really* made it through the first day if I wake up tomorrow and my hands still smell great.

Woo hoo!!!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so proud of you!!!!!! I hope that doesn't sound condescending. It's certainly not meant to be. I've been where you are, and I know it's not a trivial thing to go a whole day without a cigarette. YAAAY!!!!!! You did it!!!!!!!!

How long has it been since you went 24 hours without a cigarette? I just thought about this, myself. I've gone almost two weeks without a cigarette, so I guess the last time I went that long without smoking was probably somewhere around 1982 or so. I went a week without smoking in 1993, but that was involuntary. I was in the hospital, and the first thing I did when I got out was to have a smoke.

But anyway, how long has it been since you've gone 24 hours? And at this time tomorrow, how long will it have been since you went 48 hours without a cigarette? Take a mental inventory of how you feel. I already feel better. I feel awake when I get up in the morning. I don't feel so...creaky, if that makes sense. I feel younger. I hope you feel the same way soon! I look forward to running around with you on that cruise we keep talking about!

GO BAY!!!!!!! You really are iron woman, you know. :)

Anonymous said...

Bay!! I'm so incredibly excited for you! I waited all day long to read this post, and I'm glad you posted it before I had to go to sleep. I knew you'd do it, but it's still so great to read. Amy's right, the first day is a really big deal, and you made it!

I did my quit meter similarly in that I adjusted amount smoked and cost per pack to more of what was "average" for me at the time I quit because otherwise it was showing way more money saved. I was smoking quite a bit less than years past even before the Chantix, and I also track expenses well enough to know that what I first entered was not very accurate. I like things to be accurate, especially stuff like that, because I don't like to feel like I'm blowing smoke up my own tooshie or wonder even more where the heck that money went (even with it being accurate now I wonder...). Anyway, I get it, and it makes perfect sense.

If you haven't jotted down a few things somewhere in the way of reasons along with money and smelling good, I found it helpful and just another tool as something to look at during the moments when I wasn't enjoying this process so much.

You are a superstar iron woman just plain cool chick because you are really doing this thing. Go Bay!

And Amy, too, coming up on 2 weeks!

exsmoker mom said...

Bay!

Way to go! I am going to disagree about your counter. If you started smoking again right now, that is how much a pack of cigarettes would cost you. Because you didn't buy a pack of cigarettes today, that is how much you actually saved. Does that make sense? Start planning how you are going to reward yourself with all of that money you saved!

Tasina said...

Bay -

I'm still grinning....like a frat boy in room....well anyway

I have to disagree with you all on the price on your quit meter. I used current prices. This may be pure evil, but about...oh...maybe around Christmas time, I'm going to point out the meter to my husband and say, "Gee honey, look how much money I've saved since I quit. I'm going shopping. See you next week." ;)