Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Testing






Take this test!


You're blue — the most soothing shade of the spectrum. The color of a clear summer sky or a deep, reflective ocean, blue has traditionally symbolized trust, solitude, and loyalty. Most likely a thoughtful person who values spending some time on your own, you'd rather connect deeply with a few people than have a bunch of slight acquaintances. Luckily, making close friends isn't that hard, since people are naturally attracted to you — they're soothed by your calming presence. Cool and collected, you rarely overreact. Instead, you think things through before coming to a decision. That level-headed, thoughtful approach to life is patently blue — and patently you!



Mm'kay. Can I tell y'all the truth? I know I can, so I will, anyway.

I'm a big ol' psychological freak.

I know I am, because one of my many shrinks told me I am over 17 years ago.

(Like I hadn't figured it out before then. Snort!)

If any of y'all out there are into Myers Briggs Type Indicators -- and I am, in a huge way, because, frankly, that's what my Type does -- I am an INFP. And if you know anything about MBTI, then that says everything.

The thing was, when that one shrink told me my type -- after a really long test -- she said, "You are the weakest personality type."

I think she must have been an ESTJ, the exact opposite of INFP. Because only an ESTJ would think an INFP is "weak."

Just because we're introverted. Hmph.

I happen to think the Tickle test result that I quoted above fits me perfectly. However, I should say that I know a lot about personality tests, and therefore, I could've predicted I would be a Blue. I just know how they word the questions to skew answers in a particular direction. I can't help it. I'm an INFP. I'm a Blue. That's. What. We. Do.

I've done a lot of things over the last 17 years to try to expand myself beyond my personality restrictions. I work really hard at remembering that money is a real thing and that numbers aren't just a bunch of pretty mumbo-jumbo. I have *totally* overcome my inherent inability to stay on track when emptying an ice tray. I *always* refill the ice tray. That's a big step for us INFP's.

[Bunny Trail: I once found a website with individualized prayers for every MBTI type. The INFP prayer said, "Dear Lord, Please help me finish just one th--"]

I've learned how to load the dishwasher at least halfway, although I'm still unsure how to start the thing. To be honest, I really think it's enough for me to cook the meal. I shouldn't have to wash the pots and pans on top of all that work.

The point is, I'm still a work in progress. I know my limitations, and I'm trying to push past them. At least a little.

And in the meantime, sometimes I really do console myself with the fact that my serene veneer is in place and intact. People usually think I'm a lot more calm and trustworthy than I think I am.

So Blue? Yeah! I can take it!

And by the way, I saw someone smoking outside a restaurant tonight, and for the first time in a long time, I thought, "I don't want to join him."

That's growth. Even for an INFP or a Blue.

3 comments:

Tasina said...

I took a more scientific personality test once - don't think it was the Myers Briggs - anyway it basically said that I was a pompous a****le. I was understandably miffed and pouted around about to all my friends. It took me about a week to realize that while they felt bad that I felt bad, NOT ONE OF THOSE JERKS SAID THE TEST WAS WRONG!!!!!

;)

Anonymous said...

fWhen I took the Myers Brigs in college, I came out as an ISTP. According to the color thing, I'm green (one of my favorite colors)
Together we'd make one beautiful piece of cardstock.

maggie said...

Bay, I miss you! Hope all is well.