Friday, September 21, 2007

Chantix side effects

ADDED
February, 2009

This post is now a year and five months old, yet I still get more hits on this one than any other. I've gotten some very pointed comments about how evil Chantix is and how I'm an idiot for using it. Yet I have to say that after a year and five months, I'm still not smoking.

Chantix was the perfect drug. For me.

I'm sorry if it is not the perfect drug for you.

I understand if you think it's a dangerous drug. I agree to a point. Most drugs are dangerous in the wrong hands.

But I still love the stuff and am terribly grateful to it for making me able to quit smoking.

So stop writing to me about how awful Chantix is and how the government should ban it. I disagree vehemently. You can't change my mind. I promise I won't make you take it. But don't take it away from me and all the other smokers who could benefit from its good qualities.

Now, on with the original post...

While rhapsodizing about mountains and Zippo lighters, I totally forgot to mention the latest news in my own personal Chantix side effects.

The nausea came back for a visit on Wednesday. No idea why. I guess I hadn't eaten enough before taking the pill.

Eh, whatever. I got over it, and I still took the next pill that night.

Today I was surfing around the Internet and finally heard that at least one person may have died because of Chantix. At least his girlfriend thinks it was Chantix that did the trick.

This is sad. It's sad on so many levels. I'll have to gather my thoughts and decide how to address this issue some other day. For now, I have to write some stuff and earn my keep. And I still am not smoking, not even when I'm writing. Pretty cool, huh?

8 comments:

Chris said...

This is a tragedy that should have not happened. The report I read is the neighbor fired a "warning shot" through the closed front door. I am sorry but the real cause is reckless use of a firearm. Shoot first and ask questions later? Glad I don't live in Texas.

Anonymous said...

Bay, the nausea returned to me, too, along my Chantix path.

The death is one that has been heatedly debated among many bloggers, and there is plenty of venom on both sides of the aisle, but none of it proves anything or brings anyone back to life. Thankfully, Chantix helped me and just gave me a little gas ;)

MamaFlo said...

I believe alcohol has been a participant in most all of the reported "Chantix" deaths.
I'm staying on the safe side and not partaking while I'm on the stuff.

Anonymous said...

i took chantix and have not smoked in 2 months, i did dream alot while on the meds but i have not taken the chantix in over 2 weks but my sense of smell has altered. i always smell a metalic smell antones else and my gums bleed now

Anonymous said...

I used Chantix for 3 1/2 months and quit smoking. I have not had a smoke for 5 months, and have not taken Chantix for 4 months. I suffered from lots of nausea (still do, just the thought of smoking or taking Chantix makes me sick even now) - 6 weeks into Chantix, I had a major intestional bleed that required transfusions and hospitalization (almost died)
- during the Chantix use and continuing until now, I have had a "brain fog" and tremors in my hands - I now have an altered sense of taste and smell, with kind of a salty-sweet metallic taste in my mouth at all times, which is not lessening as time goes by. Food tastes "flat" and very often too salty now. My gums are also contantly oozing blood, and last week I took an aspirin and developed a significant gum bleed that took over an hour to get stopped. When I got a flu shot about a month ago, the nurse had a time getting that tiny little needle wound to quit bleeding. Yes, I quit smoking - but now I feel so crappy I'm not sure it was worth it.

Anonymous said...

I'm real interested in the bleeder. I just started my 3rd pack in the starter kit and have had a lot of bleeding especially my mouth/gums, nose and places I don't even want to mention. I'm hoping it's not an intestinal bleed! I'm a bit terrified. I'm not going to take anymore pills until I can reach my doctor. I've quit smoking for now. I swore I would follow the program. I tried to ignore the headaches and pain in my back where my kidney's are located, and the bleeding gums and nose, but where do you draw the line? I wanted to quit smoking to live. I don't want to die trying! I don't take any other meds. I'm just wondering if some of us are prone to bleeding more than others.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pete Howells said...

There has been much talk about Chantix Side Effects and one has to be careful not to make a judgement based on one anecdotal event.

Having said that, there are a lot of instances of suicidal thoughts and indeed a high incidence of suicide in chantix takers.

Since the drug has been available, there has been a large number of adverse reactions including suicide - but, the numbers are small considering the 7.5 million users in the US. You must also consider the benefit (to society at least!) of thousands upon thousands of people quitting smoking.

I have written an article and am adding to a site dedicated to this topic at Chantix Side Effects